Carl's daughter posted this earlier in the week..
Attention Carl Sheys fans!
Fun facts: dad edition:
1. My dad loves coffee. This love of coffee started in the 1940's. He recalls being too young to sit with all the men and drink it. So when his uncle Ernie (who was just ten years older than him and more of a sibling than an uncle) became old enough to have the honor of partaking in man coffee time, Ernie would sneak dad a sip. Dad was about 7-8 years old.
2. Dad drank Starbucks before it was cool. He got the whole beans shipped long before there was a Starbucks on every corner. I have never in my life known my father to go to a Dunkin' Donuts. He would consider that lowbrow.
3. My father believes that coffee should only be drunk black. This flies in the face of New England tradition. He goes so far as to mock my sister and I for our preference to take it with milk or cream, he calls such additions "desecration fluid".
4. Making coffee for others gives my father great joy. "Are you ready for a cup?" Is a common phrase heard in the morning. As my dad has gotten older his steps of gone slower and he has shuffled across the kitchen with greater effort. But he never stopped making coffee for my mom.
5. Everywhere my father goes with any regularity he makes friends. Most frequently these are coffee establishments. In recent years my father has started to prefer fair trade over Starbucks or any other brand coffee. He also prefers to support local business and spent a great deal of time at LoCo Joe Coffee in Purcelleville, VA.
Until quite recently he would go there every day and spend a good deal of time. I'm grateful for the times that I went with him as I watched a parade of people come in to the coffee house and visit with him for two minutes or two hours at a time. It was like he was holding court.
Love is magnetic.